Our meeting began in the usual way with President Gene James leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Karl Eisaman.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 41 of our 74 members were in attendance.
Guests: Nick Silvis with Carrie Kowalik, Emily Earl, and Noah Richardson (interns from the Community Foundation of Westmoreland County)
PLEASE NOTE: We will not have a regular lunch meeting on Tuesday, August 14 as we will be meeting at Twin Lakes Park at 5PM for our Rotary Family Picnic.
Foundation Moment with Jeff Balzer: You don’t have to be a Rotarian to make a difference in the world and be an inspiration to others. Did you know that Reggae great Bob Marley gave composer credit for his hit song “No Woman, No Cry” to Vincent Ford? Ford ran a soup kitchen in a ghetto in Kingston, Jamaica where they both grew up. Marley gave the credit so that the royalty checks would ensure that the soup kitchen always had funding.
The Rotary Family Picnic will be Tuesday, August 14 at Pavilion #7 at 5:00PM. A sign-up sheet is being passed around or please see Yvonne Bloom to sign up.
The Salvation Army presents a free Back to School Bash on Saturday, August 18, 2018 from 10AM to 1PM at St. Clair Park. The Rotary Club is raising money to be able to fill the hygiene packs for middle and high school students to be presented at the Back to School Bash. We are hoping to sponsor 250 drawstring bags. If you are interested, please see Katie Fishell or Melissa Bowman.
Word of the Week with Jim Steeley:
LOUSY dates back to the 20th century; means remarkably bad; of poor quality, dirty, or underhanded; mean; infested with lice.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Rotary Family Picnic – August 14 – Twin Lakes Park
• Back to School Bash – August 18 – St. Clair Park
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
John Kline presented this month’s birthdays and anniversaries.
Birthdays: John Dickson, Tom Hower, Bill Johnston, Ed Kraus
Anniversaries: Will Brown, Joe Codrick, Katie Fishell, Patty Lonsbary, Nick Silvis
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by,