Our meeting began in the usual way with President Gene James leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Steve Edson.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 36 of our 74 members were in attendance.
Foundation Moment with Jeff Balzer: What do a Shark Tank winner and Shelter Box have in common? The answer is LuminAid. Through Rotary’s partner Shelter Box, LuminAid distributes rechargeable solar lights with the equipment included in their boxes. The lights have been included in Shelter Boxes aiding the Syrian refugee crisis, hurricane relief in the Caribbean and in the Nepal earthquake. The solar lights are also used in campers, recharging cell phones and finding your house keys. On Shark Tank, the founders of LuminAid received offers from all 5 sharks. Pittsburgh native Mark Cuban became LuminAid’s first investor.
The Rotary Club of Greensburg and Excela Health’s Wellness Screening will be on Saturday, September 15 at 6:30AM at SeniorLife in Greensburg. If you are interested in volunteering, please see Katie Fishell.
Word of the Week with Jim Steeley:
“I’ll overcome some day!” Charles Albert Tindley was an American Methodist minister and gospel music composer. Often referred to as “The Prince of Preachers”, he educated himself, became a minister and founded one of the largest Methodist congregations serving the African-American community on the East Coast of the United States.
This hymn (text and tune) is frequently cited as a source or antecedent of the folk song or spiritual, “We shall overcome”, which became prominent as an anthem of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Wellness Screening – Saturday, September 15 – SeniorLife Greensburg
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Mandy Zalich presented this month’s birthdays and anniversaries.
Birthdays: Chad Amond, Jeff Balzer, Martin Barbie, Regina Beatty, John Harman, John Wohlin, Marcy Zajdel
Anniversaries: Martin Barbie, Steven Edson, Beth Neuschwander, Missy Smeltz
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by,