Our meeting began in the usual way with President Gene James leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Marcy Zajdel.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 34 of our 71 members were in attendance.
Guests: Bob Bloom with Isabelle Bloom
Foundation Moment with Jeff Balzer: Even though we are still eating leftovers from Thanksgiving, the Holiday Season is in full swing. No matter what holiday you celebrate or don’t for that matter, you can’t miss the bright lights, the decorated trees and shoppers rushing madly about. But while you are shopping for that special gift – don’t forget that mother and child in Africa that desperately needed a Solar Suitcase to survive. Join us in buying a Solar Suitcase to make sure that baby has a chance at life. Forms available on the district website.
Word of the Week with Jim Steeley:
TOXIC means poisonous; relating to or caused by poison; and very bad, unpleasant, or harmful. Originated mid 17th century: from medieval Latin toxicus ‘poisoned,’ from Latin toxicum ‘poison,’ from Greek toxikon (pharmakon) ‘(poison for) arrows,’ from toxon ‘bow.’
BOARD ELECTIONS: Congratulations to the following board members elected for July 2019-June 2021 – Brian Beeghly, Candace Cieslo, Shelly Gaffney
The Holiday Party will be on December 11, 6PM, at All Saints Brewery. We will be having an Ugly Sweater Contest for those who want to participate. Casual Dress. Ugly Sweater Contest categories – Most Flammable, Most Creative, Rash Inducing, Ugliest Please RSVP by Dec. 3rd to email@example.com
RESTOCKING THE PANTRIES FOOD DRIVE: During this time of year, we are all THANKFUL for that with which we have been blessed. The Rotary Club of Greensburg is undertaking the challenge to fill 70 grocery bags (one for each member of the Club) with non perishable food items that will be given to the churches in downtown Greensburg who operate emergency food pantries. We are asking members to start bringing their bags of non-perishable items to the November 27 ad December 4 regular meetings or if attending the Stock the Pantries Holiday Party on December 11, to bring your bags to that event.
The distribution of the Dictionaries to the third grade students in Hempfield, Greensburg Salem, and Aquinas Academy is in full swing. If you are interested in helping with the distribution, please see Cesare Muccari.
The Salvation Army Bell Ringing will be held next Friday, December 7 at Westmoreland Mall at Macy’s (near the purses/shoes). There are a few times still available. Please see Jeff Balzer to volunteer.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Holiday Party – December 11 – All Saints Brewery
• District Conference – May 3 & 4, 2019 – Seven Springs Mountain Resort
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – 1st and 3rd Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Murrysville-Export – 2nd and 4th Wednesday at 12 noon at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Steve Edson presented this month’s birthdays and anniversaries:
Birthdays: Chuck Anderson, Denise Ardisson, Pete Dochinez, Katie Fishell, Beth Neuschwander, Jim Silvis, Sharon Smith
Anniversaries: Chad Amond, Mark Barnhart, Karl Eisaman, Mike Keenan, Ed Meadows, John Sproull
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by,