Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Will Brown.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 32 of our 73 members were in attendance.
Guests: Mark Barnhart with Ed Krause; Candace Cieslo with son, Max
Foundation Moment with Gene James: News from the front lines – As of February 2018, only two cases of polio have been reported in Afghanistan. None have been reported in either Nigeria or Pakistan. As a result of the cases reported in Afghanistan, the Trustees of the Rotary Foundation have given a 12 million dollar grant to Rotary’s partners WHO and UNICEF to hold mass immunizations and surveillance work in Afghanistan. The end is in sight.
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: “Spring is a time to find out where you are, who you are, and move forward to where you are going.”
The Rotary’s Service Above Self 5K will be held on Memorial Day, May 28, 2018 at Lynch Field in Greensburg. The website, Facebook and the online registration are up and running. We are in need of sponsors for this event. Please contact Al Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org or Marcy Zajdel email@example.com
The Golf Committee has decided that the 2018 Rotary Club Scholarship Golf Outing will be held on Monday, June 18, 2018 at the Greensburg Country Club. The committee is currently looking for sponsors, prizes, and foursomes. Please contact Mandy Zalich or a committee member.
The spring Wellness Screening will take place on Saturday, April 7 at SeniorLife Greensburg. Volunteers are needed that morning from 6AM to 9:30AM. Please see Katie Fishell to volunteer.
GRANT PRESENTATIONS: John Kline presented the Madeline Nichols grant awards totaling $12,500 to the following organizations: Cheryl Kay Foundation, Team Friends, accessAbilities, Westmoreland CaseManagement and Supports, Inc. Greensburg Salem High School Interact Club, Mental Health Association of Southwestern PA, Central Westmoreland Habitat for Humanity, Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department, Christian Layman Corps, and the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. Congratulations to all Awardees!
A sign up sheet is being passed around for Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. Please see Yvonne Bloom or Kary Milan to sign up.
The 10th Annual CASA Leadership Breakfast will be held on Friday, April 27 at 7:00 a.m. at the Word of Life Ministries on Route 136, Greensburg. The cost is $25 per person. Registration deadline is April 13. Sponsorship opportunities are also available. For more information, please contact Mandy Zalich.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Health Screening – April 7 at Senior Life
• Walk a Mile in Her Shoes – April 21
• Scholarship Dinner – May 15 at UPG
• Spelling Bee – May 24 at 6:00 p.m. – Greensburg Salem Middle School
• Service Above Self Memorial Day 5K – May 28, 2018 – Lynch Field
• Rotary Golf Outing – June 18, 2018 – Greensburg Country Club
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Steve Edson presented this month’s birthdays and anniversaries.
Birthdays: Yvonne Bloom, Tom Charley, Shelley Gaffney, John Kline, John Wesner
Anniversaries: Regina Beatty, Yvonne Bloom, Al Lazar, Chuck Strobel, John Wesner
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel