Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Chuck Anderson.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 33 of our 72 members were in attendance.
Foundation Moment with Gene James: According to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, 2017 saw the fewest cases of polio in history. A total of 17 cases were reported. Most of these cases were in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The number also included outbreaks in Nigeria, Syria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Because of the outbreaks early surveillance efforts will be doubled to catch these outbreaks quickly.
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: Someday, everything will make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason.
The application for the Kenneth P. Rutter Scholarship is now available online through The Pittsburgh Foundation website https://pittsburghfoundation.org/scholarship/4381 The application deadline is March 31, 2018. This scholarship is available to Westmoreland County students who meet the educational eligibility requirements and plan to attend an accredited vocational or technical school or a 2-to-4 year college or university. Preference will be given to students who seek to enter the Christian Ministry, and/or who have exhibited a strong interest in community service and humanitarian service. This scholarship is offered in memory of Rotarian Kenneth P. Rutter. Contact Rotarian Patty Lonsbary if you have questions by calling 724-396-5051.
Because of the generosity of the late Harry Miller, a long-time Greensburg Resident, the Madeline Nichols Fund provides annual income to our club that is to be distributed for projects to beneﬁt the community that Mr. Miller loved. The grant application process is now open and available at http://greensburgrotary.com/?page_id=19 The deadline is January 31, 2018.
PAUL HARRIS FELLOWS: Chuck Strobel was presented with a Paul Harris +5 pin. Candace Cieslo was presented with a Paul Harris Fellow. Congratulations to both Chuck and Candace.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Service Above Self Memorial Day 5K – May 28, 2018 – Lynch Field
• Rotary Golf Outing – June 18, 2018 – Greensburg Country Club
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Mandy Zalich introduced today’s speaker, Endicott Reindl, Executive Director of the Westmoreland Symphony. The Symphony presents its 49th season of presenting classical music concerts throughout Westmoreland County in 2017-2018. Endi talked about the programs as well as the upcoming 50th Anniversary. Please visit http://www.westmorelandsymphony.org for more information.
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel