Our meeting began in the usual way with Vice President Steve Edson leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Al Lazar.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 27 of our 71 members were in attendance.
Foundation Moment with Jeff Balzer: On November 19, we mark World Toilet Day. All of us sitting in this room have at least one good working toilet in our homes. Can you imagine your life without a toilet? But 2.5 million people don’t have access to a toilet. All over the world, people are forced to defecate in open spaces – along the edges of their villages or near rivers or streams. Due to a lack of sanitation, disease is being spread and water sources polluted. World Toilet Day is a day to raise awareness. For more information log on to www.mr.toilet.com
Word of the Week with Jim Steeley:
QUINTESSENTIAL means of the pure and essential essence of something – The philosophers and scientists of the ancient world and the Middle Ages believed that the world we inhabit was entirely made up of four elements: earth, air, fire, and water. Aristotle added a fifth element, the aether or ether, by which he meant the material that fills the rest of space, mostly invisibly but sometimes taking the form of stars and planets. Many writers described the element as a kind of invisible light or fire. In the Middle Ages, it was referred to as the quinta essentia (“fifth element”). It isn’t surprising that the quinta essentia came to stand for anything so perfect that it seemed to surpass the limitations of earth. Today we generally use quintessential rather freely to describe just about anything that represents the best of its kind.
BOARD ELECTIONS: Congratulations to the following board members elected for July 2019-June 2021 – Brian Beeghly, Candace Cieslo, Shelly Gaffney
The Holiday Party will be on December 11, 6PM, at All Saints Brewery. We will be having an Ugly Sweater Contest for those who want to participate. Casual Dress. Ugly Sweater Contest categories – Most Flammable, Most Creative, Rash Inducing, Ugliest Please RSVP by Dec. 3rd to firstname.lastname@example.org
RESTOCKING THE PANTRY FOOD DRIVE: Every member is asked to bring one bag of groceries over the next three weeks. These bags will be distributed to the four emergency food pantries in Greensburg.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Holiday Party – December 11 – All Saints Brewery
• District Conference – May 3 & 4, 2019 – Seven Springs Mountain Resort
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – 1st and 3rd Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Murrysville-Export – 2nd and 4th Wednesday at 12 noon at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Steve Edson will be discussing fundraising and membership. Some ideas for fundraisers: bingo, concert, raffle ticket, chili cookoff; contact some of the other clubs to get ideas
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by,