Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Cindy Strayer.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 39 of our 75 members were in attendance.
Rotarians: DG Steve Arnowitz and wife Colleen
Guests: Cesare Muccari with Linda Matey
PLEASE NOTE: We will not have a regular lunch meeting on Tuesday, May 15. We will be having our Scholarship Dinner at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg at 6PM. Please see Yvonne Bloom to sign up.
Foundation Moment with Gene James: In Nigeria, polio workers are helping to end other diseases. In the first two months of 2018, there were 110 deaths from Lassa fever. One polio worker said “my experience in polio eradication activities allowed me to swing into action. I realized the need to use my expertise to serve the communities at risk.” When outbreaks of other diseases happen, the knowledge and experience of polio workers make a significant difference to the outbreak response. Polio workers were essential to containing the Ebola virus outbreak in 2014. For the Lassa fever response, 826 polio workers have been involved in tracking and treating the fever.
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: “Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts, your life will start to change.”
The Rotary’s Service Above Self 5K will be held on Memorial Day, May 28, 2018 at Lynch Field in Greensburg. The website, Facebook and the online registration are up and running. We are in need of sponsors for this event. Please contact Al Lazar at email@example.com or Marcy Zajdel firstname.lastname@example.org
The Golf Committee has decided that the 2018 Rotary Club Scholarship Golf Outing will be held on Monday, June 18, 2018 at the Greensburg Country Club. The committee is currently looking for sponsors, prizes, and foursomes. Please contact Mandy Zalich or a committee member.
District Governor Steve Arnowitz joined us today and talked about the happenings in the District as well as the District Conference.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Scholarship Dinner – May 15 at UPG
• Spelling Bee – May 24 at 6:00 p.m. – Greensburg Salem Middle School
• Service Above Self Memorial Day 5K – May 28, 2018 – Lynch Field
• Rotary Golf Outing – June 18, 2018 – Greensburg Country Club
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Carolyn Tlumack presented this month’s birthdays and anniversaries.
Birthdays: Guy Davis, Sue Fox, Al Lazar, Bobbi Stemmler-Guest, Cindy Strayer
Anniversaries: Larry Hamilton, Kevin Metsger, Kary Milan, Jim Silvis, John Wohlin, Mandy Zalich
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel