Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Ed Meadows.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 32 of our 73 members were in attendance.
Guests: Bryan Kline with Doug Weimer
Foundation Moment with Gene James: A neonatal intensive care unit in Brazil had a big problem. It did not have enough equipment. With only 7 incubators the state run hospital’s unit filled up quickly. Newborns would have to be transferred to another facility – a very hard journey for the tiny, fragile patients – a trip they did not always survive. But two Rotary clubs – one in Brazil and one in Japan – stepped in to help. Through a Foundation Global Grant, club members raised money to purchase incubators, cribs, ventilators and monitors. The size of the neonatal unit doubled and now provides care for 220 of the community’s newest and tiniest residents.
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: The course of our lives is not determined by great, awesome decisions. Our decision is set by the little day-to-day choices which chart the track on which we run.
The application for the Kenneth P. Rutter Scholarship is now available online through The Pittsburgh Foundation website https://pittsburghfoundation.org/scholarship/4381 The application deadline is March 31, 2018. This scholarship is available to Westmoreland County students who meet the educational eligibility requirements and plan to attend an accredited vocational or technical school or a 2-to-4 year college or university. Preference will be given to students who seek to enter the Christian Ministry, and/or who have exhibited a strong interest in community service and humanitarian service. This scholarship is offered in memory of Rotarian Kenneth P. Rutter. Contact Rotarian Patty Lonsbary if you have questions by calling 724-396-5051.
INDUCTION CEREMONY: Jeff Balzer conducted today’s induction of Denise Ardisson. Denise is sponsored by Carolyn Tlumack. Congratulations Denise.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Service Above Self Memorial Day 5K – May 28, 2018 – Lynch Field
• Rotary Golf Outing – June 18, 2018 – Greensburg Country Club
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Mandy Zalich introduced this month’s birthdays and anniversaries.
Birthdays: Eileen Amato, Adib Barsoum, Brian Beeghly, Bill Courtney, Chris DeDiana, Gene James, Mike Kennan, Bryan Kline, Jim Shorkey, Chuck Strobel, Lisa Tidwell
Annivesaries: Eileen Amato, Jeff Balzer, Neal Dana, John Hanna, John Harman, John Kline, Jeff Long, Mike Roberts, Amy Shorkey, Jim Shorkey, Marcy Zajdel
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel