Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Jeff Balzer.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 27 of our 73 members were in attendance.
Visiting Rotarians: Candace Cieslo from Alaska Sunrise
Guests: Carolyn Tlumack with Denise Ardisson
PLEASE NOTE: We will not be having a regular lunch meeting on Tuesday, December 5. We will be meeting at the Ramada Inn at 5:30PM for our Rotary Holiday Party.
Foundation Moment with Gene James: During a 1962 speech, President John F. Kennedy said “peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.” He could have been talking about Rotary’s peace initiative. Fifty-five years later, Rotary’s Peace Centers and its Peace Fellows are quietly building new structures and eroding old barriers. Through these Centers Rotary knows that peace is possible. For more information on Rotary’s Peace Centers and the Peace Fellow scholarships, contact Colleen Wood.
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: “It’s not what we have in life, but who we have in our life that matters.”
Happy Bucks: We are looking for suggestions of where to send our Happy Bucks, please see a Board Member if you would like to make a suggestion.
The Salvation Army Bell Ringing will take place on Friday, December 8 from 9am to 7pm at Westmoreland Mall Macy’s. If you signed up, please remember to arrive a few minutes before your starting time.
BOARD ELECTIONS: Congratulations to our four newest board members – Yvonne Bloom, Rod Booker, Tom Charley, and John Sproull.
Steve Edson discussed The Steel Turtles walking club (https://www.meetup.com/The-Steel-Turtles-Walking-Club/). The mission is to provide opportunities to walk not only for Fun, Fitness and Friendship, but also to explore interesting places. Walks are held in historic cities and towns, as well as national, state and local parks. We are one of approximately 250 clubs in the U.S. that support over 1800 self-guided walks. These walks are called Volksmarches, or literally, people walks. All walks have an event of least 10K (6.2 miles) and also offer a shorter option of 5K (3.1 miles). All the walks are non-competitive. The next walk is scheduled for Saturday, December 9 at Twin Lakes Park and is sponsored by the Mon Valley Trailblazers. For more information at the walk, visit http://mvtrailblazers.com
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Rotary Holiday Party – Tuesday, December 5 – Ramada Inn
• Salvation Army Bell Ringing – December 8 – Westmoreland Mall Macy’s
• Service Above Self Memorial Day 5K – May 28, 2018 – Lynch Field
• Rotary Golf Outing – June 18, 2018 – Greensburg Country Club
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Jeff Balzer introduced this month’s birthdays and anniversaries:
Birthdays: Chuck Anderson, Pete Dochinez, Katie Fritsch, Beth Neuschwander, Jim Silvis, Sharon Smith
Anniversaries: Chad Amond, Mark Barnhart, Karl Eisaman, Sue Fox, Mike Keenan, Ed Meadows, John Sproull
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel