Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by John Sproull.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
Mark Barnhart reported 38 of our 75 members were in attendance.
OUR LUNCH MEETING LOCATION HAS CHANGED: Beginning in September 2017, our luncheon meetings will be held at the Ramada Inn and Conference Center, 100 Ramada Inn Drive, Greensburg.
Foundation Moment with Gene James: It is a well-known fact that Rotary Foundation started with just $26.50. With inflation, it would come to around $500 in today’s money – maybe just enough to buy a smartphone. As one Rotary leader says, “hardly sufficient seed money for a foundation with the ambitious mission of doing good in the world.” The numbers from a recent audit of the 2015-16 year, show that our Foundation awarded almost $100 million in global and district grants, another $4 million for Peace Fellowships and over $114 million for polio eradication. Last year’s Foundation Chair says, “While all of these numbers are impressive there is only one number we will never truly know – and that is the number of people whose lives have been improved, transformed or saved through the work of our Foundation.”
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: “Don’t wait, life goes faster than you think!”
Happy Bucks: The most recent Happy Bucks were distributed to Greensburg-Hempfield Library; Bushy Run Battlefield; and accessAbilities.
Rotary Leadership Institute’s fall date in Greensburg will be October 7. Please visit www.rlimainline.org for more information and to register.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Wellness Screening – September 16 – SeniorLife, Greensburg
• One Rotary Summit – October 21 – Fred Rogers Center at Saint Vincent College
• Foundation Dinner – November 17 – California University of Pennsylvania
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Jeff Balzer introduced this month’s birthdays and anniversaries:
Birthdays: Chad Amond, Jeff Balzer, Martin Barbie, Regina Beatty, John Harman, John Wohlin, Marcy Zajdel
Anniversaries: Martin Barbie, Missy Smeltz
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel