Our meeting began in the usual way with President Marcy Zajdel leading in the Pledge of Allegiance, God Bless America and our invocation by Cindy Strayer.
Sergeant at Arms Report:
John Hanna reported 42 of our 74 members were in attendance.
OUR LUNCH MEETING LOCATION HAS TEMPORARILY CHANGED: August 29, We will be at Waterworks in South Greensburg (1817 S Broad Street, Extension). Our August 29, we will be voting to decide where we will move our lunch meetings.
Foundation Moment with Gene James: A young Pakistani Peace Fellow named Raja is building libraries in her native country – a country where 40% of the population is illiterate. In Pakistan, education is officially mandated but most schools are undervalued, underattended and underfunded. The libraries offer a place where rural children and their parents can discover colorful crayons and pop-up story books. After studying at the short term Peace Center in Thailand, Raja returned home and has focused her efforts on education and has established libraries and computer centers in three location. Raja says “education is part of you as long as you are alive.” To learn more about becoming a Peace Fellow or more about The Rotary Peace Centers, please log on to www.rotary.org
Marcy’s Quote of the Week: “Your smile is your logo, your personality is your business card, how you leave others feeling after an experience with you becomes your trademark.”
Happy Bucks: The most recent Happy Bucks were distributed to Greensburg-Hempfield Library; Bushy Run Battlefield; and accessAbilities.
INDUCTION CEREMONY: Steve Edson and Beth Neuschwander were inducted on August 22. Steve is proposed by Gene James and Beth is proposed by Mike Roberts. Welcome Steve and Beth.
Rotary Leadership Institute’s fall date in Greensburg will be October 7. Please visit www.rlimainline.org for more information and to register.
Dates to Remember:
• Our Lady of Grace Food Pantry Distribution – first Saturday of every month
• Wellness Screening – September 16 – SeniorLife, Greensburg
• One Rotary Summit – October 21 – Fred Rogers Center at Saint Vincent College
• Foundation Dinner – November 17 – California University of Pennsylvania
• Mountain View – Monday at 6:15 p.m. at Applebee’s Restaurant
• Westmoreland – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at Badges Bar & Grille
• Latrobe – Wednesday at 12 noon at DeNunzio’s Chophouse
• Norwin – Monday at 12:05 p.m. at Jacktown Rod and Hunt Club
• Delmont-Salem – Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Kings Family Restaurant
• Murrysville-Export – Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. at The Lamplighter
• Mount Pleasant – Wednesday at 12 noon at Leo’s Pub & Grill
• Plum – Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at Palmieri’s Restaurant
Chuck Strobel introduced today’s speakers, Stephanie who was our outbound short-term exchange student and also Aurora who was the inbound short-term exchange student. Stephanie traveled to Madrid, Spain and stayed with Aurora’s family. Now Aurora is staying with Stephanie’s family. They both spoke of their visits to each other’s countries and what they learned along the way.
Our meeting ended in the usual way with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully submitted by, Marcy Zajdel